Broken Arrow Skyrace; It's Just Running

For me, it is really hard not to be competitive when I toe the start line of any race, but that changed dramatically at Broken Arrow Skyrace. I've never done a Skyrunning event before and this opened my eyes up to another world of Ultra endurance athletics and being in the mountains.

Skyrunning came from Europe and is defined as mountain running above 2,000m (6500ft+), over extremely technical trails, also known as "where the mountains meet the sky". The Broken Arrow Skyrace delivered.

The 52K features a challenging, world-class race course that showcases Squaw Valley's most extreme and scenic terrain. From the valley floor at 6200 feet, runners will ascend more than 10,000 feet as they traverse the rugged terrain of one of North America's most iconic ski resorts.

Runners got treated to the jagged terrain of KT-22, unrivaled views of the Granite Chief Wilderness, and the most iconic portion of the race, the infamous "Stairway to Heaven" ladder to the top of Squaw Peak (twice!). The course contained steep slabs of rock, potential snow slopes, scree and exposure.

Friday evening, there was a great pre-race meeting going over the course. They did a really great job letting us know where all the SNOW on the course was... which was about 80% of the course. Yay, snow... or so I thought...

So I having some practice running on and in snow, I thought I'd be fine.

Race Morning: Start was pushed back an hour to let the snow melt and soften up at the higher elevations. Sweet, I can relax a bit, get my drop bag ready for the second loop and use the bathroom and chat with the other racers.

Lap 1: 
7AM comes too quickly and we are getting our final race briefing... 3, 2, 1... GO!

Having both 26K and 52K racers all go off at the same time was really nuts, but so awesome cause we were running through the Squaw Valley Olympic Village and it felt like one of those big European  style races.

After a quick start on some cobblestone road, we quickly turn onto some dirt trail and it starts to climb.

"I can't breathe 

My lungs feel like they are going to burst. 
Legs are heavy.
I am sweating WAY too much this early into the race.
Why am I doing this again?"

Being at 6,200ft, my sea level lungs were not ready for the speeds I wanted to run. It was frustrating. My legs felt strong, but I was gasping for air and it seemed like I was going to have a panic attack. Runners started passing me at like 5K into the race and I was already in this dark headspace.

I had to calmly remind myself to run my own race, that we still hadn't made it to the first aid station and that it's going to be a long day with how much snow on course.
By mile 7 and the first aid station, I got my breathing under control and the first tough climb of the day had begun. Running up a ski chairlift, aka KT-22 was brutal. All of it was covered in snow. The 1.4 mile, ~1150ft climb was slow going. Lucky for me I had my Black Diamond Z poles which helped but unfortunately, halfway up, I snapped one of them and it was not helpful, so I put them back in my back and put my head down and power trudged up the snowbanks.


Smile through the pain
After slogging my way to the top, we had a nice descent before climbing more. I caught some people on the downhill which felt good and then we'd all work together on our next climb up to the highest point in the race. With all the snow on this steep 40% grade, it was really great to have some fixed ropes to hold and use to climb up the mountain with. 

"One step forward, two steps sliding back.
Just keep moving. 
Left foot, right foot, left, right, left.
Keep your head up, do not look down."

After scrambling and sliding going up this climb, we get to the coolest part of the race, the Stairway to Heaven ladder, and the highest part of the course at ~9000ft. 

Stairway to Heaven #1

You can see Lake Tahoe and everything was so gorgeous up top. I took it all in before bombing down ~1200ft. Thankfully, there was a unofficial water aid station that Jeff Boggess from Trail Butter was manning. I had run out of water about 11 miles into the race, so I rehydrated.

Continuing along, on so much snow, skiers are now out on the slopes and it's very entertaining when they would look at us runners doing a race in these conditions. I was laughing too cause I sometimes don't know why I run these crazy, extreme races.

COWABUNGA!  

I ended up getting and giving high fives to skiers coming off the chairlifts since the race runs close to some of the ski runs.
After bombing down this snowy descent and trying not to fall on my butt, we were to run a ~2mile counter-clockwise lollipop. It would have been very brief if there was no snow, but with the snow, it was slow. We drop down to a little lake, then climb back up to the 2nd official aid station at High Camp, ~13.4 miles.

Climbing up to High Camp

Sliding backwards and almost falling on my face
Lucky for me, my mom and dad were at the aid station. They took the Tram up and it was a real boost to see their smiling faces. I refilled my bottles and then made my 3.25 mile run back down to the village. Bombing back down to the finish of the 26K and start of Lap 2, I connected with Seattle based runner, Brian Rakestraw. We worked together and it was comforting to know we were both suffering in one way or another. 

Lap 2: 
Brian and I come into the aid station together. I drop my poles and grab some more calories before heading out. I leave pretty quickly cause I didn't want to get sucked in to the 26K finisher's trap aka the DNF Trap.

Immediately after leaving not more than 400m we are thrown back onto the first dirt trails we set foot on in Lap 1. 

I was power-hiking and trying to get in calories. Brian caught back up and passed me. 

"Stay on Brian. 
Latch onto Brian.
Brian is strong...Brian will get you to the finish line."

I gulped down my VFuel gels and then shuffled slowly back up to Brian. We stayed neck and neck as we just silently marched up the >30% grade. 

Brian and I worked really well together. We gained a lot of ground and caught up to some runners that were hitting a low. Back at Aid Station #1: Easy Street, I refilled my bottles and wanted some Coke. Not having a extra bottle and the race being cup-free I asked the volunteer if they would pour some into my mouth... "Of course not, that'd be unsanitary."

Luckily, Brian had filled his bottle with Coke and gave me a few shots. (THANK YOU, BRIAN!)
After leaving the aid I dreaded the climb back up to Stairway to Heaven. It was so HOT and the snow didn't make anything faster or better, but slowly, Brian and I kept climbing. 

I kinda blocked out this section mentally as I just wanted the slipping and sliding to be over with so I put my head down and moved as fast as I could. I dropped Brian and thought I was going to be clear of any other runners until the end. 

Nope... First Female, badass, Kelly Wolf came up behind me. She was cruising up the climbs and I tried to stay with her but my legs were trashed. She pulled away on the descent after getting up the ladder.

Scrambling to the top
I started to cramp up and it was great to stop back at the unofficial aid station for more water and some salt tablets. From there it was ~5 more miles to the end and I shuffled my way down the snow path and in between skiers up on the slopes. 

The second lollipop loop was really fun as I ended up glissading down the slope. The climb back up the other side was not though but it was short and I was quickly back at the High Camp Aid Station. 

Saw my folks, got some Ginger Ale and then saw F2, Stevie Kremer coming in. We looked at one another said "Let's Go". Last 3.25 miles, all downhill, I just let my legs go. My time/place didn't matter at that point. I just smiled and just soaked up the last few miles left to race. 

Cruising into the finish, it was so great to see lots of friends and familiar faces cheering. 

Lastly before crossing the finish line, you gotta ring the Finisher's Bell to officially stop the clock and get your finishing time. I jump, whack the bell and plop onto the grass, exhausted, but filled with so much joy. 

RINGING THE BELL!
Of course major thank you to the entire Broken Arrow team for putting on a hell of a race and keeping everyone safe. I urge everyone to sign up next year. 

Thank you, to my coach, Michele Yates. Lastly, I wouldn't have been able to race without the support from VFuel EnduranceNOLA DoughnutsRoll RecoveryRugged RunningHaeleum. Thanks so much! 


Stats from the race:

VFUEL Gels: 1500 Calories (7 Peach Cobbler and 8 Salted Caramel Apple)
Oreos: 10 oreos
Soda: 20oz
Shoes worn: Salomon S-Lab Ultra 6 SG
Shirt: Salomon Race Singlet
Shorts: Salomon S-Lab Shorts
Hydration Vest: Salomon Ultra 8 Pack
Socks: Drymax 1/4 Crew Socks




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gorge 100K

IMTUF 100 Race Report

2024 Mt. Fuji 100 Race Recap