Fat Dog 120 Race Report

Fat Dog 120
Race Recap



[In my head] "Where the hell am I? I should not be in this river right now... Where are the trail markers?!! AGHHH!!

Two weeks ago, I had the pleasure to run Canada's most scenic ultra, Fat Dog 120. This ultra is Canada's answer to the USA's Hardrock 100. I read about this race back in 2013 when I was just getting started with ultrarunning. Outside Magazine, called this race one of the top 9 hardest 100+ mile races in the world at the time. Six years after reading about the race that has a whopping ~28,000ft of vertical climbing aka "Everesting", I would sign up feeling confident in my long distance running ability to tackle the demand and challenges of this graduate level ultra race.

I hope to keep the race recap brief and to the point. So let's begin:

After arriving home to see my folks in Washington State a couple days before race day, my father, Sunny and I made our way up to Vancouver, BC, Canada on Thursday, August 8th. There was a race briefing and race check-in later in the day and after flying over the border and picking up our rental car, we made our way to Manning Park where it was being held. I didn't realize how far the drive would be from Vancouver International Airport but it'd be 2.5 hours drive and I was cutting it very close after our flight was delayed and getting the car was slowed. I ended up speeding and making up travel time just to make the race briefing (if I didn't show up for the race briefing, then I wouldn't be able to race). Just before arriving, I knew my friends, Avery Collins and Eric Yan were also running the race and asked them to see if they could help grab my bib number and check me in for the race briefing in case I were to be late. Luckily, I pulled into the resort right at 4 PM and just before the start of the briefing. Avery was able to grab my bib and I then was able to relax and catch up with him before the meeting started.

Like all race briefings, it was good to hear from the RD and go over the course. It got a bit tense towards the end with a little bit of confusion about bus transportation and having to walk 4km up to the start line but that's besides the point. All was good, I felt ready and confident for the race Friday morning at 10 AM.

Before leaving the resort, I finalized my drop bags and got to catch up with Eric and his crew/pacer Kevin.
Kevin would be able to let my dad come with him to crew so that I wouldn't have to worry while I raced.

Flat Me Pre-Race
PC: Sunny Lee

With all that settled, my dad and I would then head 50km back to the nearest town of Hope, BC and check in at our Airbnb and grab groceries for dinner that evening. After checking in with our Airbnb host, Barbara, I made a quick dinner and prepared my race gear for the morning. I was calm and feeling excited to race. Just one more night of sleep. With the race starting at 10 AM, I decided to still go to bed relatively early to get the most amount of sleep since I knew from my previous 120 milers (Bigfoot 120) that I could be out running for about a day and half or more depending on the type of day I was having race wise.

I would end up getting more than 9 hours of sleep and felt amazing when I awoke on Friday, race day! I made a decently large breakfast of toast, cereal and fruits before we would head back to the resort for the bus transportation. My dad went with Kevin and Eric and I would then hop on the bus that would depart for the Start.

Eric Yan, Me and my Dad

After getting to the start, we did a roll call to make sure everyone runner who would be racing was there. I got to chat with other racers and got some start line photos with Avery and Eric. Kevin and my dad would have to make the 4km walk up to the start since they wouldn't be able to drive up with the road being so narrow if they wanted to see us go off on our journey. Kevin would make it to the start, but my dad being in his elder age, would miss the start by just a few minutes after walking up 2 miles.

The 120 mile race and relay would start at the same time with the RD doing a count down and saying GO... Avery and I would immediately jump to the front and we were now on our race journey.

Start Line
PC: Mountain Madness 

It was super nice to run with Avery for the first ~80km+ (50+ miles). We pretty much yo-yo'd back and forth through the early aid stations. Sabrina Stanley (Avery's girlfriend) was crewing for him and would post updates and was stoked to see us both working together. Avery and I got to catch up quite a bit which was awesome since I hadn't seen him in some time. We were just having a blast and running very fast on the lush, soft and gorgeous single track since we both had come down from altitude. The highlight from the beginning to the first 21 miles was seeing two gigantic moose in Nicomen Lake right before getting to the second aid station and also seeing the insane peaks in the distance that were previously used for skiing.

Avery and I were rolling so fast that the early aid stations weren't even set up at 50km (31 miles) Cayuse Flats. I think we ran the first 50K in 5 hours and some change which was ridiculous for a 190km race. We both were either going to have great days or blow up in a extraordinary fashion.

Changing sock at Whitecloud Aid
PC: Julian Vincent

I felt great and so did he, but I felt strong on the climbing and would pass him and then he was doing well on the descents and would catch me and pass me. It would be like that for about 86km (55 miles) before shit hit the fan at least me. Avery gapped me on this short out-n-back section to Whitecloud aid station, and maybe had about a mile or two on me. But after we got separated, and leaving the Tulameen Camp Aid Station, I still felt confident. Once I got to the Dewdney Trail, I knew I  would have ~18km (11 miles) to the next major aid and I would be 100km (or half way done) with the race. This is where shit hit the fan hard...

Early miles with Avery on Bonnevier Trail
PC: Mountain Madness

I was following the flagging precisely before they somehow just all vanished and I was suddenly at a river crossing. There weren't any flags which I thought was so odd and I thought we had to cross the river. I entered the river to check the other side for flagging and after wandering with my head cut off for more than an hour and adding 4 miles to my race, the dark setting in I was SUPER FRUSTRATED. I had been walking up and down in the river looking for the flagging. There was nothing. My feet were soak and my legs got cut up from the sharp rocks. The sun was setting and I was super pissed cause I lost an hour or more on Avery. The next best thing was to wait at the last flag I could see for the 3-5th place runners to catch up. I was angry, beyond angry. How could I let this happen?

(*Also, the super upsetting thing was that the RD sent out the GPX file off an app you had to download but had to PAY to be a premium member to get the actual course track.* ) How can you make people pay for the course GPX?)*

Anyways, back to the race, I wasted so much time waiting after unsuccessfully trying to find the course markings by myself. Nolan Graham, Chris Mackey and another runner who I'm blanking on his name all caught up to me. One had the GPX track and we all then found the right way. We found that the flagging and reflectors were pulled and tossed on the ground at the junction where I was supposed to turn. I had added 4 extra miles at that point. I was so upset still and just ranting to the group. Nothing I could really do, but move on. It definitely took me awhile to get my emotions in check and maybe wasted some energy but I let that anger fuel me. Nolan and I would break away from the other two and would then work together to get to the 100km aid station at Dick's Cabin.

At Dick's Cabin, the wonderful volunteers let me know that Avery had got lost too and had only left the aid ~30 minutes before we had arrived. This definitely boosted my confidence and after recharging with calories and warm soup, I ran out to do see if I could make up more ground. Nolan ended up coming along too and we would again work together through the night section finding the course markings.

In my mind, I was still feeling very strong. I felt like my legs hadn't run the extra 4 miles or ~69 miles at the point in the race. From Dick's Cabin, we headed back to Nicomen Lake at ~Mile 72.4.
It was rolling downhill back to Nicomen but having Nolan was great as he helped push me along with his pacer.

We would get to Nicomen Aid #2 and I was still feeling dandy. I was in and out quick knowing I wanted to gap Nolan a bit on the return up the mountain which we came down earlier in the race. On the switchbacks up the mountain I could see Nolan's headlamp coming up but I felt like I had maybe a 5 minute gap on him... Again, the flagging was so bad. They were spread 3/4- a mile or were nonexistent from earlier in the day... It felt like the Sweeper took way too many down and made this section so difficult. Nolan and his pacer would then catch up to me and we exchanged more thoughts on how the markings were making this way harder.

Nolan and I would end up dropping his pacer and make it to the ~ Mile 88.7 Blackwall Aid or mile 92.7 for me, after a 16.7 mile long and grueling night section. Nolan would gap me and arrive at Blackwall just before me and left right as came in with his other pacer. I wouldn't see Nolan again. He went on to place second behind Avery.

I again refueled at Blackwall and got my safety vest since we had a 6.5 mile downhill road section to the next aid at Frosty, ~mile 95.2 or Mile 99.2 for me.

My right foot was starting to feel a bit achy cause of some shoe rubbing on the BOAs but I was able to loosen them and the downhill I tried to make up some time without blowing my quads out. It was pretty but an uneventful 6.5 miles down on the road. Cars would zip past as they either headed up to Blackwall or down to Frosty aid. I got down to Frosty aid just as the sun was starting to rise up again I think... I heard later that I made up some ground on Nolan and was only 9 minutes back but at that point I was in 3rd place trying to maintain the position. I knew I had a large gap on 4th.

After getting to Frosty, I changed my socks and got ready for the ridiculous steep climb up to Frosty Mtn. HOLY F@%K! WHAT A CLIMB! Frosty Mtn felt like I was on a Colorado 14er with how much scrambling and loose rocks. I took my only 3 photos of the entire race on this peak. It was absolutely stunning.

Views from the climb up Frosty Mtn

Views on the other side of Frosty Mtn climb

Frosty Mtn Summit. Super loose rock.

After the semi scary descent and getting back to the singletrack, I was on my way down to Tom's Bench aid down at Lightning Lake. Frosty Aid to Tom's Bench Aid was about 14.7 miles and I was quite happy to be back down with only a couple more aid stations to get to before being able to finish with maybe 4 miles of navigational errors.

Not the case though... After getting to Tom's Bench and being able to see the finish on the other side of the lake .5 mile away, volunteers reminded me that I had to depart for the final 21km leg of the race. I only had to get to Strawberry Flats aid and then do the Skyline Trail, then it'd be smooth sailing back down to Lightning Lake and the Finish.

I got to Strawberry Flats with ease and the 3rd place relay team runner would catch me. [In my head] "We only had ~13 miles left to do. Easy.. A half marathon and again I'd only have run ~4ish miles off course and then finish in 3rd Overall."

9km left after leaving Strawberry Flats, I had to climb 5km up the Skyline Trail and it was definitely beautiful but I was ready to finish the final 4km. I saw the BIG "Lightning Lake" Sign with 4km on it at the trail junction but instead of taking the left and going up the switchback since the flagging was SO HIGH behind the bushes, I ended up going right and down the trail cause I saw flags going down that direction. I would see flags head down the mountain and could see the lake... But it was so odd. I couldn't see the finish line that I had seen from Tom's Bench, but the flagging had "Fat Dog 120" on pink ribbon pinned to the bushes. I trusted it but still so odd I didn't see the finish line. It should've been 4km and I'd be done... I though it was a sick joke since I read and heard from friends that the race is long so don't trust the markings. I went down miles since the ribbons gave me confidence but still a bit unsure. I don't know what came over me, but I felt like something was off. I got down to the bottom of the mountain and  knew this was a major screw up. I about lost it. I was fuming. I ruined my race. I now added 14 miles to my race... I definitely thought 4th Place would have by then now would've caught up and passed me.

I was very angry. How the hell were there these "Fat Dog 120" markers down here. Who would vandalize the course this awfully. No way wildlife could do this. Just super frustrated after having such a solid race.

I ended up charging up the hill with the remainder of my calories and water. I was super depleted. I was running on pure adrenaline. I got back up to the Sign and RE-FLAGGED the section so nobody else would go right. I then looked around and found the other markers going up and to the left.

I ran as hard as I could. I thought I was in 4th at this point even though I heard runners behind me. I was running scared now that I'd lose more positions. I was ultimately in 3rd, but still thinking that my 10 mile out and having to do 10 miles back detour took me off the podium.

I would then see day hikers heading up as I was coming down and ask them if they've seen any other runners, and they said they didn't. In my mind I was like "hallelujah",  I still have a shot. Then after getting back to the Rainbow Bridge, it was supposed to be smooth sailing to the finish... WRONG again!

A volunteer thought I had to go do Strawberry Flats and pointed me that direction... 4th Place runner, Hassan Lofti-Pour, then passed me as I went that direction thinking it was the finish line. I had to run back to the bridge but it'd be too late, I lost another mile and I RAGED back through Tom's Bench and IN A DEAD SPRINT to the Finish. I was upset cause I finished 4 minute after 3rd place.. Hassan finished 30:07 I was still running. After 144 MILES! I was still SUPER FIRED UP off the adrenaline. Hassan was very surprised. I couldn't believe it... That's how my race would end up.

I finished in 4th Place Overall in 30:11. After running an extra ~24 miles. Almost a WHOLE EXTRA MARATHON. Ridiculous. Who knows what really could've been if I didn't add those miles and possibly being out on course an extra ~4-5 hours.

Anyways, I am left with some satisfaction that I can run ~144 miles in a bit over 30 hours and I still felt strong when I was done.

Finish Line
PC: Sunny Lee

Happy photo
PC: Sunny Lee

Finish line with my dad
PC: Mountain Madness

Satisfied and dead
PC: Sunny Lee

Thank you to all the wonderful volunteers that help me at the aid stations. Without them, I definitely may have dropped out when I went off course. Deepest THANK YOU to Nolan Graham, Chris Mackey for helping me when I got lost. Thank you and major congratulations to my homie, Avery Collins for sharing so many miles early on and for his very impressive win after also adding his own extra miles as well.

Thank you to Race Director, Heather and her team for putting on this stunning course. I hope to be back next year in 2020 to get some redemption and not add so many bonus miles.

As always, I am a super grateful for my body and mind for allowing me to experience and do these extremely challenging races and this crazy sport. I am also thankful to my parents and siblings and their significant others that support me. Thank you to all my dear friends for your love, support and encouraging messages pre and post race, especially Caleb Baybayan, Julia German, Kelly Newlon, Bailee Mulholland, Maddie Hart, Thomas Dempsey, Eric Yan, Tim and Krista Olson, Stefanie and Mitchell Flippin, Tara Warren, Jody Sanborn, Caitlin Alexander, Brian Llamas and Jon Paladini.

Last but not least, I am super grateful and thankful for the support from my sponsors. Major thank you(s) to adidasTERREX, Suunto, Go Far Shop, Pure Power Botanicals, and Active NW for everything you guys provide me to perform my best.

That's a wrap. Thanks for reading, everyone! All in all a great race with a bit of adversity. I would 100% the recommend the race to anyone looking for a international race that wants to see the best trails of Canada.


Mile 1-111 on Strava

Miles 112- 144

Sub 36 Hour Buckle


Final race tallies:
Miles run: ~144 miles (24 miles off course)
Gels eaten: ~50 VFuel Gels
Bars eaten: 15 Skratch Bars
Cokes chugged: 15 Cans
Pizza eaten: 6 slices
Burgers eaten: 2 burgers
High Fives Given: 10



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gorge 100K

IMTUF 100 Race Report

2024 Mt. Fuji 100 Race Recap