2024 HURT 100- Race Report

HURT 2024: An experiment with OFM and putting all the pieces together on how a 100 miler can go so well.

This year's race was something special and I am still trying to wrap my head around it. This was my third time racing HURT after two other finishes in 2019 and 2022 that didn’t live up to my expectations or goals, this one was sweet. 3rd time was the charm but not without a few major changes and hiccups leading up to the race. Before diving into the race, let’s rewind first.

About a month ago, I started diving into more nutrition podcasts and really wanting to fix my fueling strategy and gut distress during l00 mile races. I am notorious for the "puke and rally" after about 50 miles and depending on the race from eating too many gels/carbs. So I went into research mode. How/what are folks that I know like Jeff Browning, Peter Mortimer, Zach Bitter doing what they’re doing and staying consistent? 

I listened to so many podcast in this past month leading up to HURT and all of them had a similar common theme. It was VESPA. I knew about VESPA back in 2014 when I started ultrarunning and bought a few packs but in my naïve years of 20 years old, I thought it was a gimmick. It’s also kinda expensive and I wasn’t making much money back then to buy it. What was this product that only had 19 calories and 6 weird ingredients. It can’t possibly sustain you in long runs. So after using the product, I never really thought much of it or did anymore research back then. I went back to fueling with gels with carbs on all my runs. The early success in 100s fueling with gels stuck with me. I thought we had to be so dependent on them to get from start to finish. But as I’ve gotten older, I am finally starting to learn and really apply the teachings of my mentos with more knowledge. Knowledge is power.

So this was going to be a BIG CHANGE. In the 4 weeks leading up to HURT, I changed my diet to more Keto/Paleo. I was eating more grass-fed red meat or cuts of meat and fish, adding more grass-fed beef tallow/Ghee butter to my meals and incorporating more collagen rich foods while cutting out grains, simple sugars and processed cooking oils. I cut my carb intake down significantly to about >50G, but I never truly counted numbers. It was a very hard transition for the first couple weeks. I was definitely a bit more irritable as I was detoxing from the carbs and what my mind and body usually use as fuel in such a short period of time all while still training big. It was an extremely cool experiment to do on myself and I wanted to see if this would work. I then bought some VESPA and did more research and listened to more podcasts with the General Manager of VESPA, Peter Defty all while testing and following the instructions of this new nutrition tactics on my long runs.

The diet change and using of VESPA was part one of the lead up to the race. Next comes tapering and race week. Everything was going smoothly with tapering. My body felt great albeit I still had a dry cough I was trying to get rid of since I had been sick during Christmas and New Years week.

Since going back to coaching myself, I have loved my training and this training block. It was so freeing to do the runs I wanted to do and I could choose to hop in on run with friends and do their workouts or not. I also knew what type of training worked well for HURT and focused when I needed to do the necessary runs to feel confident that I could perform my best. You can look at my Strava and see the past 13 weeks just building nicely until I got sick December 18th after a weekend full of get togethers with my friends, Byron Yoder and his family for dinner and then following that up running all weekend with my friend, Kristina Randrup and Sarah Biehl and then celebrating Sarah at her Dirty 30 "White Trash" Birthday party. It was just a lot of go, go go and not a lot of recovery which I look back on now and say, "I should chill but you never know unless you do it" Risk vs breakthrough. This year it was marginally better to get sick 3 weeks out from the race versus in the past two runs, I injured my knee a week before in 2019 and in 2022, I got COVID about 13 days before. 

I wont bore you with too much of the race week shenanigans, but the major issue that arose was that my flights got cancelled due to aircraft issues. If you read the news, you'll know what is going on with Boeing and all of the 737- 9 MAX aircrafts. Long story short, I was supposed to take that plane to Hawaii with Maria and her mom but the flights were getting cancelled and had to buy new flights which was an unexpected situation. All in all, it all worked out thankfully after a few hours of stress and I could then refocus on packing and the race itself.

A few days later we arrive in Honolulu...

I do my usual shakeout run on Thursday after checking in at our airbnb and settle in. Friday was race check in and the race briefing where I got to catch up with good friends, Wookie, his friend, Joel, Trevor, Masazumi and his wife, Yoshi, Ian Farris and Brian Wyland, among other volunteers and other racers. After the meeting, a group of us headed to lunch and then it was back to packing and get gear ready for the race. 

Saturday, bright and early.

Pre Race photo.

Before the Start.

Time to race! We got picked up early from my SLC bud, Trevor Fuchs to head to the Start line at the Hawaii Nature Center and grab my bib, drop off my drop bags, and catch up with a few friends and did my last minute pre race poop. What was also super special about this years HURT was that NHK Japan brought out a film crew to document the race. Having met them in Japan for Mt. Fuji 100 last Spring, they interviewed me briefly and I knew what to expect when I saw them out on the trails. 
I then took my first VESPA forty-five minutes before the start. This year I didn't start at the front, but instead hung back in the middle of the pack with Ian Farris (another Veteran of HURT) and Michael Braman.

After a beautiful Hawaiian Prayer and blessing from another runner, the conch blew and we were sent on our way up Hogsback...

I took the first climb to warm up easy and started chatting away with folks around me. It did get bottlenecked and I quickly passed where I could while cheering everyone on in the early headlamp miles.
I ran with Ryo Tamai from Japan,  Brian Wyland and Will Hubert for a good while before we got to the top of Tantalus and at the fork went right to start our first climb of Concrete Hill on the first loop. Concrete Hill was a new addition to this years race because of a landslide going to the original Manoa Falls aid stations so they needed to make an alternative course. Although this part of the course is paved and non technical, it is super steep and not many people ran it. Also with the changes to this section, we would have to go through the Pop Up Pirates aid station two times per loop and were marked off by stickers to know which loop you were on. Get 10 Stickers or else you don't get the finish. It got very loopy on an already loopy course. By taking out the Manoa Falls sections, the race lost some technicality but HURT did the next best thing and that was add in more CLIMBING, approximately, 26,000 feet of Vert or 7924.8 meters.

At the top of Concrete Hill I met Tricia from Squamish and we shared miles down to the first aid station. We talked about High Lonesome 100 and what our other races we had on our schedules and the miles flew by as we passed a few other runners. I then said my goodbye and danced down the trail to go back up Tantalus and then went left in the fork to head towards the Puaoa Flats and down to Nu'uanu aid station #2. It was just smooth, easy running. I was picking good lines and just keeping my feet high as to not trip on the roots and rocks ad I was making my way through the field. I also had finally caught up to fellow Boulderite, Candice Burt. She was getting after it and charging hard out of the gate. As we made our turn for the Nu'uanu Trail and I think I was getting into top 10 and the chase pack. Got to the ridge and Bien's Bench before the treacherous, winding "5 min hill" descent to the aid. As I was going the switch backs and jumping off rocks, I started to hear the Jackass Ginger music alongside the powerful Nu'uanu Stream flowing. 

Crossing Nu'uanu. Photo by Brent Wong

Ihor Verys from Chilliwack, BC, Canada was the first to come back up the hill. and then I think Michito Sawa, Takeshi Yamada from Japan and Masazumi Fujiokafollowed. I cross the stream and am rock hopping trying to avoid getting my feet wet, but end up going into the water to get past a few folks ahead  of me trying to avoid the water and created a bottleneck. One guy actually slipped and fell and I had to help him up and asked if he was okay. Then its less than a 100 meter to the aid station where we checked in. I grabbed some fruit and headed back out for the climb back up Nu'uanu and heading back to the Start/Finish (Makiki aid station). 

As I was making my way back up the trail, the chase pack of runners were coming down. We all just keep encouraging one another as we pass each other. That's what HURT is about. We all care about each other and root for each other because this race is no joke. Folks will get injured and break bones on this course. I think someone this year actually broke their fibula. So one wrong slip, or rolled ankle could end your day.

I then take my second Vespa after two hours like the recommendations says and wash it down with electrolytes and water. Still fueling every 30 minutes with Spring Cannaberry or Awesome Sauce. After making back to Puaoa Flats and the "Pig Gate", I head back down to the Pop Up Pirates Aid station for my second check in of Loop 1 and am now in the top 4. We then have a short ~2.5 miles section with a little bit of rolling, technical terrain  and a fun section called "Pipes" before getting back to the Nature Center. 

Heading down "Pipes"

Arriving at the Nature Center, I grab another VESPA from my drop bag for the loop 2 and then eat more fruit and some chips at the aid station before heading back out for Hogsback again. 
Loop 1 done, ~20 miles and ~5,350ft of vert.

I left in third place and I could see second place, Machito on the climb. He was maybe 5 minutes ahead and I slowly creep up on him and pass him as we get to the top of Tantalus and starting up Concrete Hill again. The NHK News were starting to now follow the podium runners more and they ran with us while filming. It was fun to talk to them, but also I just wanted to stay relaxed and not push the pace as I didn't know what to expect still with my experiment with OFM/VESPA and taking less carbs. I just told the videographers that, "I'm saving my energy until loop 5 and that I'll be running my pace." 

I then get back to Pop Up Pirates for my third sticker and Trevor is giving me updates on Ihor and the gap. I am now in second place. I grab some fruit and head out. Still moving super well and slowly gaining time. It's a long race but I still practiced patience and kept myself in check. 

Coming out of Pop Up Pirates aid station

Gulp down my third VESPA on my way to Nu'uanu and was seeing the middle and back of pack runners coming back from their first Nu'uanu on Puaoa Flats. I then retraced my steps going down the steep singletrack and before I knew it I saw Ihor coming back up. I looked at my watch and counted how long it took me to get to the aid and immediately head back up. It was about fifteen minutes. Not bad and I just kept moving one foot step at a time. I ran as much as I could going back up and only power hiking super steep sections or where I needed to sorta scramble and pull myself up some big rocks.

Another stream crossing.

By the time I got back to Pirates for sticker 4, my gap to Ihor was around 7 minutes. It was as close as I would get to him all day besides seeing him come up from Nu'uanu. Then repeat heading down to Makiki and Pipes to the Nature Center for the completion of Loop 2, ~40 miles and 10,700ft of climbing done.

Loop 3 was where I mentally was super aware of my body. Since I didn't listen to music for the entire race, I just ran off of feeling and didn't concern myself with the pace. Forty miles on my legs, you generally start to feel soreness in the legs, but I didn't. Super bizarre, but I just brushed it off and kept hiking the hills and running everything I could. Just like my previous two loops, I was thinking of family and friends and former RD, Big John Salmonson. I'd look down at my finger nails and feel positive energy from Maria because she painted my nails the night before. I would think about my mom, dad, sister and her family, my brother and his wife and all the training partners in Boulder. I'd say their name into the wind and it felt like each of them were beside me on this beautiful trail like it was just another training run together.

Check into Pop Up Pirates for sticker #5 and am on my way. Ihor puts some time on me, but it's still reasonable. Again, being filmed by the NHK team, they ask me, "If I can catch Ihor?" I reply, "I'm trying, but he's stronger since he's using poles." My mentality is "Don't give up."" Keep digging and fighting." I want to make Ihor earn his win. 

As I make my way to Nu'uanu for the third time, Ihor passes coming back up and is always just so friendly and we each said to one another  "Keep it up! You're looking strong." He made it look effortless. Just trekking away with his poles. I started to joke with him that he should drop the poles but he never did.

Heading down to Nu'uanu. Photo by Kalani Pascual

I do a quick turnaround in the aid and pound my forth VESPA. I still feel excellent and steady flow of energy. Time to try and push a bit on this climb and see if I can make up more ground. Make it up "5 minute hill and back to Bien's Bench to see other running friends out on the course cheering. Sun was starting to set and I wanted to finish loop 3 before dark. I got my #6 sticker at Pop Up and was running fast down to finish the loop and grab my lights for the night. Loop 3 complete, ~60 miles, ~16,050ft of vert on the legs.

TWO MORE LOOPS. I got this. 60 miles down. 40 miles to go. "I am strong." "Save it for loop 5. "Stay consistent and keep running." "Big John would love to see us all racing, do it for him." These were the main thoughts I had going into Loop 4. I grabbed my gels and Kogalla waist light from my drop bag and grab some bacon from the aid station and headed out. 
What was wild at this point in the race was that besides feeling so in-tune with my body and that I was in "flow-state", for running 60 miles up to that point, I know what that type of mileage feels like and the soreness that comes with it. BUT crazy enough, it felt like regular soreness from a training run after a 20 miler. That's what blew my mind. I could still run up hills and just had consistent stable energy. No lows or bonking. Usually after 100k, I get flavor fatigue and nauseous because of all the gels, but this didn't happen once during the race. My strategy of 2 gels per hour and VESPA every 2 hours was truly working.
I didn't puke. I din't bonk or have major lows I had to crawl out of. It was absolutely incredible and I just kept doing my thing. 

Up on Tantalus and heading towards Concrete Hill while being filmed by NHK News.
Photo by Brent Wong

It was now dark and sun had set, so I turned on my lights. It was starting to cool off and there was a nice breeze as I climbed up Hogsback and up to Tantalus. I got to Concrete Hill thinking, "I just have to get through this and I only have to do this ONE MORE TIME." I was over Concrete Hill. It's just a brutal short ascent and lined by bamboo on both sides that when your hiking through it with your lights, it cast all these weird shadows. I then blast back down to Pop Up for my 7th Sticker and then restart my climb back up Tantalus to head to Nu'uanu. I was still moving well and I ate and drank all my calories I needed to by the time I arrived. Ihor again was encouraging as we passed each other and he had his pacer. I joked with him that he should slow down so we could run together but he joked back that I should slow down so he didn't have to keep running hard since we were about 20 mins or so apart. A good laugh for us both. I then cross the stream and enter the aid station. Freddy the aid station captain gave me some chicken and rice while I was grabbing fuel from my drop bag. I refilled my bottles and said my goodbyes and told them, I'll see them for Loop 5 in couple hours.

Making my way back up Nu'uanu, I get a little crampy since we had to take big steps up these huge rocks and over a downed tree. I take my salt tabs that I have stashed in my shorts and continue on my way to Pop Up aid station for sticker #8. I then charge out of the aid with the NHK film crew following... It's time to get ready for the final loop and to leave it all out there.

Heading into Pirates

I get back to the Nature Center and grab all my gels and refill bottles fast while stuffing my face with fruits and have the wonderful volunteers load up more bacon for the climb. Thanking them as I run out, I'm ready to go after Ihor as best as I can. Yippee, ~80 miles done and 21,400ft of vert done! Feeling strong still.

LOOP 5! LFG!! I power hiked hard going up Hogsback and ran every possible thing I could getting up to Tantalus. Thinking of all the hard work to get here. Looking again at my painted finger nails and thinking of Maria gave me strength. I thought more about my folks and siblings, their families and all my friends, training partners and sponsors that have supported me and this incredible journey. 
And finally, I get to my last Concrete Hill! Hallelujah! I power hiked and trotted up as much of he 18% grade. But wow it just felt like a never ending portal. I kept smiling and the hill eventually flattened out. It was time to bomb down to Pop Up for sticker #9. Passing and lapping the other runners, they were all so friendly and cheering me on. I refill my 2 bottles and get out fast to head over to my last visit to Nu'uanu and then I can "smell the barn" for the finish. I ask how much time Ihor has on me and at that point it was too far out of reach with 14 miles to go, but I gave it everything I had. I ran everything I could until I felt like my heart rate was too high and I couldn't get fluids or gels down. Still hadn't puked and didn't want to ruin now.

I got back up Tantalus with a mix of power hiking and light running and made my way through the technical roots of Puaoa Flats and back down the switchbacks of Nu'uanu aid. Ihor and his pacer were on their way up and at that point I knew I couldn't catch them with 7.5 miles to go. He was making it look so easy with his poles, but its as Race Director, Jeff Huff would say, "Whatevas." Just run your race and maintain. If you can get back out before seeing third place then you're golden. I get to Nu'uanu and refill and leave immediately. I head back up "5 minute Hill" for the last time. I am looking at everyone that is coming down and seeing their sticker count. "Do they have sticker #9? No, okay cool, I'm safe, but also keep running and hiking hard. Push. Push. PUSH!"

I then get back up to Puaoa flats and come up another runner I met on course from Virginia, Will Weidman who was on fourth loop cruising along. His lights were dimming but he was still moving well and I used my lights to help him get to Pop Up aid. We chatted and were moving well as he kept me pushing hard as I was not going to stop running until the finish. He let me go ahead of him to get my 10th and final sticker and then we said our goodbyes as he had to change his battery lights. I have some electrolytes and water left and I just keep going past the aid. The film crew is ready to film the last 2.5 miles and I was ready to run every step of the way. 

Right foot. Left foot. Right foot. Keeping the eyes up and forward. Lift those feet. Picking my line down the muddy, rooty trails and feeling like an animal had just been released from its cage. You can feel the Nature Center and the finish line getting closer. Deep breathes. Run up this short hill and then run down and turn right and dont fall on the rocks or the small bridge before the junction to "Pipes". Less than a mile to go. Don't roll your ankle now on these exposed muddy, rocks and steel pipes. Light and fast. I make it down safely and I charge up the last couple steps of the bridge and  turn to descend down the last technical bits of trail before concrete ramp leads to the finish line chute. Carl and Steve on the microphone is welcoming me back. I bring my hands to my heart and bow with gratitude, then RING THE BELL and KISS THE HURT SIGN. DONE! 2nd Place. 🤯 My mind was in literal shock.

21:39 and another huge PR here even on an altered course with more climbing. Third time was the charm!

Finish line with Maria 🥰💖

I am so thankful to the HURT 'Ohana and everyone that volunteered to make this event so special. I really appreciate everyone that helped me at the aid stations by filling my bottles and giving me my drop bags.

Thank you to RD, Jeff Huff, PJ Salmonson, Steve Villiger, Carl Gammon, Melanie Decker Koehl, Marian and Neal Yasuda (at Pop Up Pirates), Freddy (at Nu'uanu), Sergio Florian, Anna Albreict, Alyssa Clark and anybody else I can't think of at the moment. You guys are all the best and I truly appreciate all the positive energy to us runners.

Congratulations to all the runners who started and finished. Congratulations to Ihor for his win, Michito Sawa for third place on the men side. Congratulations to BC women's winner, Andrea Tarras,  second place, Katherina Laan, and third place, Candice Burt for the women's podium.

Award Banquet Finishers photo

Thank you to Maria, her mom for coming out on this trip. Thank you to my family, friends, coworkers and my Boulder Trail Family for all the love, support, cheers and following along on the tracker. Thank you to training partners, Sarah Biehl, Hillary Allen, Ellie Pell, JP GIblin, Kilian Korth, Kristina Randrup, Jon Rea, Ben Thompson, Byron Yoder, Mary Denholm, Seth Wealing, Laura Kaplan for all the miles we ran together in the build up for this. Thank you to my Phyical Therapists, Dr. Caitlin Alexander (@caitalexander), Dr. Sarah Zimmer (@Boulder_sports_physio) and my chiropractor, Dr. Larry Frieder for all the body work and keeping me healthy. It takes a village.

Lastly, immense THANK YOU to my sponsors, Topo Athletic, Arcteryx Colorado, Paago Works, Injinji, Spring Energy, Sun God Sunglasses, Zensah, and Renew Earth Running.

I already can't wait to be back in 2025. See you in Hawaii, HURT! Mahalo!

Gear Used:

Nutrition: VESPA x 10, Spring Energy x 21 gels = 45g carbs/hr nd Fruits and bacon at aid stations
Watch/HR band: COROS Vertix 2 and HR Band Still had 69% battery life on watch.
Compression sleeves: Zensah
Shirt: Tank top from Topo
Hat: Topo Hat by BOCO
Neck gaiter: Buff

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gorge 100K

IMTUF 100 Race Report

UTMB 2023 Race Recap