Smith Rock 50K



What an unbelievable day of racing at the Smith Rock Ascent 50K. Even though this race was a training run for me, I still wanted to push myself against the many fast local Bend runners. It was very exciting toeing the line and standing next to people I look up to in the sport. 


The race started just after 8am and it was a hot start as we shot out like rockets. Our first mile was 5:49. Thinking to myself, I'll either blow up or today is going to be very special. A group of four, Ryan Bak (Nike Trail), Ian Sharman (Altra), Thomas Morgan (Footzone Bend) and myself all were all together for the first few miles. Ryan then decides to use his marathon speed to break away on the first climb up the Summit Trail leaving Thomas slightly ahead of me while Ian backed off the pace.   Running by effort, I felt comfortable early on and I just shuffled easily up the climbs, but I was a bit worried with Ian behind me since he can catch people that make the mistake of going out too fast. Just keep running and if someone catches you, lesson learned.

Thomas (Far Right), Me (Bib #616), Ian Sharman (To My Left), Ryan Bak (Behind Ian)

Running in third place up until aid station #1- mile 7.6, not stopping, I slammed some VFUEL Salted Caramel Apple gels and pass Thomas on the climb out Cole Loop/Grey Butte Trail. Wow, you're doing so well... What is happening? How am I in second right now with so many high class runners? 

Now in second, Ryan is no where in sight and I put a good 5-10 minute gap of Thomas. Running alone can be difficult, but knowing all the fast runners behind me made me really scared to get caught so all the climbs I ultra shuffled up and then I ran hard on the flats and descents. 

I was in the zone and everything was going so smoothly, but then I'd come face to face with a closed fence and it throw off the rhythm. Instead of opening these fences since half of them I couldn't get the latch open, I hopped over them and continued on my way. Scenery in this section was incredible and Aid Station #2 came really quick since it was at mile 12.7... Not stopping again, I power through. Maybe I should've grabbed more water or something... I have 12oz of water left and I have another 7 miles to aid station #3. I hope I don't bonk.

This was the make or break it point of the race. Thankfully I decided to read the course description prior to the race. *ALL RUNNERS SHOULD READ THE COURSE DIRECTION.* I knew that 50K racers split off and didn't run to the summit of Grey Butte like the 15-mile racer but turned at a random intersection. I saw flagging going up as well as thhe 15 mile racers going up and knew this was the turn but markings were unclear besides a cone that was off to the left. Ryan Bak actually went up a bit but I saw him coming back down as I stood at the intersection looking for markings. I told him, "the trail is supposed to turn here". What a wild turn of events... Ryan then sped off again but I could see him in the distance maybe 3 or 4 minutes ahead. Then hail comes out of nowhere and dark clouds are hanging over me as I enter Aid station #3 ~mile 20. I refill my empty water bottle, slam 2 more VFUEL Gels and I'm in good spirits and "charge" back out on the trail.

Heading back to Aid Station #1 and the finish, I had to stay focused. I didn't know where or how close runners behind me were. One step at a time. Smile. Smile. Smile. 

Climbing back up to the final aid, I hit my first low of the race, but it was due to the fact that I didn't eat after getting pelted by hail, so my body was using extra energy to heat up. I downed some VFuel Cherry Cola and the sugar rush was rocket fuel. Into Aid #4, I grab-n-go Oreos and bolt, ready to tackle the last 5 miles. 

Don't fall on your face. Keep your legs moving... Almost done. Keep grinding...

With 5K or 3ish miles left, "Til I Collapse" by Eminem is blasting in my ears and seeing 15 miler racer ahead of me, I played a game of how many "roadkills" can I get. One... two... three...up to 15 people... I was flying down this ~1000ft jeep road and then 3/4 miles from the finish all racers have to make the grueling climb back up the Rim Rock Trail. Legs were dead & cramping but it didn't matter, I charge up the path and into the finish. 

SUCCESS! 2nd Overall. 3:37:58! New 50K PR. WOO!


Me (2nd place), Ryan Bak (1st Place), Thomas Morgan (3rd place)
Major congratulations to all runners and finishers in all the various distances. Shoutouts to Melissa & Sarah Ostaszewski, John Baston, Denzil Jennings, Justin James-Long, Christof Teuscher, Brandon Drake, Hugh Davis, Kate Cornelius, Josh Myers-Dean, Gary Geist for their great races as well.

Kayla, Hugh, Melissa, Me, and Sarah

Thank you, to my amazing coach, Michele Yates for unlocking my potential and helping me break my previous limits. Lastly, a big thank you to Carson FootwearVFuel EnduranceNOLA DoughnutsRoll RecoveryRugged RunningHaeleum for continued support in my ultra running journey. 

Few stats from the race:
VFUEL Gels/Drink: 1200 calories (9 gels Salted Caramel Apple/1 300 calorie drink mix Cherry Cola
Oreos: 300 calories
Salomon S-Lab Ultra 6
Nike Volt Shorts
Stance Run Calf Socks
Carson USA Singlet

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gorge 100K

IMTUF 100 Race Report

2024 Mt. Fuji 100 Race Recap