The 2022 HURT 100 Race Recap

Hi friends and family, thanks for your patience on my HURT 100 race report. I’m going to keep this as short and sweet as possible, based on my memory after moving for 27 hours straight. It may get a little tedious as HURT is a 20 mile loop course done five times, but I hope you enjoy the read. šŸ˜

PRE RACE:


First and foremost, I got off the crazy deep waitlist eight weeks prior to the race. I was stoked but that is not much time to put in a good training block for a tough race like HURT. Fortunately, I was already putting in strong training for the November 2021 Spartan World Championship 100K in San Francisco, which made for a great training race prior to Hawaii. 

 

After performing well at the November 100K, I put in another month of solid training. I had a few big workouts including a long 10 hour day doing laps on Green Mountain in Boulder. The only thing left to do  was taper... well, life had some curveballs planned. In Boulder, over New Years, we had a crazy wildfire followed by a huge snowstorm. While stressing about everything going on around me, I also got Covid which knocked me out. šŸ™ƒ Thankfully, I fully recovered and was able to travel to Hawaii two days before for the race.


Pre-race with my family crew. šŸ“ø: Another HURT 100 runner

Bib #64 šŸ“ø: Andrew Lee

RACE DAY:

 

Saturday morning after checking in and receiving my bib, I caught up with a few other runners and took some photos with my family and girlfriend who were crewing. At 5:55AM, it was time to toe the start line with 124 other crazy runners. Internally, I was calm and poised. I said a little prayer as we had a moment of silence for the lost HURT ohana, and then we counted down 3... 2... 1... GO!

 

125 runners started our 100 mile journey on the rugged and tough Makiki Tantalus Trails. I followed the trail up Hogsback behind my friend, Trevor Fuchs, and Oahu local, Sergio Florian. It was a quiet and chill first few miles climbing and we started chatting once we got up to the road on Tantalus Drive. On our way to Manoa (Pirates of Paradise) aid station for the first time, we moved at a nice pace going over Pauoa Flats Trail (not able to use the boardwalk as its too old and fragile) and through the stunning bamboo forest and canopy banyan trees. After seeing how good these trail conditions were compared to 2019 when I last raced, and 2020 when I paced, I knew it'd be a nice day of running despite the warm temperature. 


While heading over the main staple of "spider" roots (see below photos) on our way to Paradise, we pass two gates heading down to Manoa Falls. One of the gates was open but after a couple switchbacks downhill, we came to a locked gate. Trevor, Sergio, another runner and I were all confused but had to hop the gate. We then made our way down to the Pirates of Paradise aid station and let the volunteers know about the gate situation. 


Iconic "spider" roots of HURT. šŸ“ø: Paul Reader

More "spider" roots and the lovely bamboo forest. šŸ“ø: Paul Reader

I dropped my headlamp, re-filled my Hydrapak bottles, grabbed my next batch of Spring gels and was first to head back out and up the trail. As the other runners started to come down the trail, it was nice to cheer and wish everyone a 'good day'. Now heading to the Nu'uanu (Jackass Ginger) aid station, I had to re-hop the locked gate and traverse my way back up to Pauoa Flats. After getting up there, I made the turn onto some drier trails scattered with more roots. I was able to run most of the trail down to the aid station minus a few huge huge rocks we had to butt slide down but trail conditions were once again very solid. I crossed over the Nu'uanu Stream that was flowing very nicely and popped into the Jackass Ginger aid station.


After reloading on more gels and fluids, I was out fast. I crossed back over the stream and then started seeing the chase pack, Sergio, Peter Mortimer and a couple other runners, all together. I made my way back up the Judd Trail and Nu'uanu Trail climb fairly quickly and cheered for folks coming down the trail. After finishing "5-Minute Hill" as HURT refers to it (sick joke because it definitely takes longer than "5-minutes"), I got back up to the ridge and trotted my way back to the the top intersection, then headed up the Na Ala Hele-Manoa Cliff Trail where you get unreal views of the mountainside. I cautiously made my way through the tight ankle breaking trail down to Moleka Trail where it then reconnects with Makiki Valley Trail which was part of the beginning part of the course and finally turning left for the last descent down Kanealole Trail aka "Pipes" (cause of how many metal pipes are just sticking out from the eroded trail over the years). Pipes was not bad whatsoever. I took it very easily to see the conditions, but again the trail was very dry minus a few spots. If it had been wet, the pipes would literally be a death sentence and would for sure send me and any runner to the emergency room from a bad fall. I navigated the trail gracefully and made it back to the Nature Center (Start/Finish) for the completion of blisteringly fast loop 1 in 3:47 and felt amazing.


Coming into the Nature Center. šŸ“ø: Sunny Lee

Even my crew didn’t expect me to run this quickly and they weren’t there to meet me. I was in and out of the Nature Center after refilling my bottles and pounding some more Spring and electrolytes. Starting Loop 2 back up Hogsback, I maintained a great pace. I picked the same line up the trail as loop 1 and getting back up to Tantalus Drive took no time at all. I was shuffling through all the downs and the runnable sections to maintain my lead on the chase pack. I again traversed the spider roots well going down to Paradise for the second time even though it was a bit busier with tourists now out day hiking up to Manoa Falls and oblivious to the fact there was a 100 mile race going on around them. I weave past them yelling, "runner on your left or coming through the middle" as I made my way to the aid station.


In and out of Paradise aid station after refueling, I made my way back up Manoa Falls Trail dodging the crowds I just ran past on the way down. It wasn't until I got back into the bamboo forest and on the spider trails near the gates, I saw the next few runners chasing me and had a sizable lead through ~27 miles in 5 hours and 20 minutes. Now heading back to Nu'uanu for the second time, I still kept everything relaxed. Nothing felt overly taxing and I stayed calm eating five or so Cannaberry gels before the aid station. 

 

Headed back into the woods. šŸ“ø: Sunny Lee

I traversed that section in an hour and 12 minutes and was at hit mile ~32.5 miles. I took some time here to eat but was back out within a few minutes not trying to waste any time. It was time to finish loop 2 and get back to the Nature Center.


I made my way up Nu'aunu again with a smile on my face as I was shocked to see the distance I was still leading by... As I got near the top, I saw another friend, Masazumi Fujioka, coming down the trail. It was great to see him doing well as I look up to Masa since he is another legendary Pacific Northwest 100-mile runner and another HURT veteran.  


I felt a rush of energy with my early lead, but knew that nothing is ever guaranteed in this sport, especially 100 milers. I was going to ride a very thin red line and shoot my shot. I wanted to win. I was going to run until either my legs or body would blow up.


I ran back up to the Manoa Cliffs and made my way back down to the Nature Center after two loops and 40 miles in 8 hours and 11 mins, at 2:11PM. Still very fast, but a bit slower. This time my crew (Mom, Dad, brother, sister-in-law, and my girlfriend Maria) were all there to greet me. After filling my bottles with the volunteers, Maria changed my socks, and my folks got me fruits and some electrolytes to replenish my muscles. It was a quick pit stop, but I was fired up to see them.


The crew got me up and out for loop 3 in a great headspace and again was making my way to Paradise for the third time. Nothing too eventful happened in the section. I kept hiking at an even clip and moving forward. I loved using the cheers from other runners to motivate me and keep me smiling as I was swiftly moved over the roots and rocky trails. I got that section from the Nature Center to Paradise #3 done in 1:58 and total race time of 10 hours and 3 minutes for ~47.5 miles @ 4:03PM,. At this point, the sun was going to set on my next leg. I picked up my lights and prepared my mind for the long night ahead. HURT has one of the longest night sections (14 hours of darkness) because of the canopy trees don't allow the moon's light to shine through. 


I didn't dilly dally as I was out again heading back up the trail from Paradise to Nu'uanu @ ~52.5 miles. I made this five-mile trek in 1:24. Things were starting to slow down personally but I still was making good time. Everyone would be entering the pain cave soon. I just had to keep moving forward and stay the course. I got out of Nu'uanu with the last rays of light to spare and wanted to try to put more time on the chase pack by getting back up to the ridge. I looked at my watch and then started recording how long until I'd see the next runner. It was about 15 minutes as I was getting up the trail and Peter Mortimer came running down, followed by Sergio. Knowing I was past half of the race, I was happy with how things were shaping up but also knew things could turn south really quickly if I wasn't on top of it. 


Heading back to the Nature Center for the finish of loop 3 was still splendid. I was on top of eating and drinking my fluids consistently. I made my way through Pauoa Flats and back up through the Manoa Cliffs. It was a stunning night. You can see all the houses in the valley lit up on the mountainside and also downtown Waikiki in the distance. What a view being so close yet feeling so alone in the forest of bamboo and banyan trees. As I was coming down Pipes in the dark, I made sure I was careful not to take a fall or slip on slick trails and wet roots coming from the dew.

 

I finished loop 3, 60 miles in 13:19 at 7:19PM. I saw my crew, reloaded my fuel for the next loop, and ate some fruit and pickles before heading out. As soon as I left the aid for loop 4, all the food I just pounded came back up and I projectile vomited going up Hogsback. "Oh no", I thought... "I have to get this under control or else I'm in big trouble" as I kept putting one foot in front of the other.


Headed out onto loop 4. šŸ“ø: Sunny Lee

I made it back up to Tantalus and through the bamboo back down to Manoa for the fourth time. As I was coming into the aid station, I saw my friend, Tara Warren. Before I was able to say hi to her, I violently vomited into the trash can while all the volunteers stared at me... I sat down across from Tara. I asked her how she's doing, and she said "not great". Her calf injury prior to the race was getting worse. While that's all going on, I try to eat and reset my stomach. I ask one of the volunteers for a barf bag as a courtesy to not throw up all over the ground. I then regurgitate a lovely soup, potato, fruit, and stomach acid concoction. This is what I signed up for. I actually pay money to do this crazy sport and I absolutely love it (maybe not in the moment but after the fact). HURT slogan popped into my head. "We wouldn't want it to be easy." I looked down and see my magic wrist band given to us sprayed with Tantalus water. "Not for the Weak" I get my butt out of the chair.


I have to get moving. I headed back out and as I was getting up the trail, Peter came flying down... My lead had started to dwindle. I was now starting to get worried. If I couldn't eat anymore, then the last 1 & 2/3 loops were going to be rough. I just tried to move to the best of my ability and run with my heart.


Heading to Nu'uanu #4, I hiked up the ups and tried to shuffle the flats and downs. But every time I shuffled the flats or downs, my stomach still was not in a good place. The gels weren't staying down any longer. I'd put one down and a few seconds later, it'd come back up. I kept trying to eat, praying and hoping I'd get 10% of the gel to stick even while still throwing up. I'd pass by runners coming towards me and puke violently. Sorry to everyone who had to witness me vomit and dry heave. 


I finally made it down to Nu'aunu @ ~mile 72.5, but I was pretty out of it. My brain felt like I was in a daze and I was pretty sure I'd be caught up to by the chase pack any moment. I sat in the aid trying to again fix my broken stomach. Nothing would stay down. (This is what happened at IMTUF in September 2021.) But I knew I could rally. I know I've gone through worse... Then, Peter came in shortly after and saw me puking my guts out. He reloaded and headed out, while I stayed in the aid still not able to put anything down; now in second. But I had to get moving... I got back up and recrossed the stream and headed back into the dark woods. Time to finish loop 4 and see my crew for a recharge. I texted them that I got passed and that the loop was not going well. They told me they believed in me and to get back soon so I could start loop 5 with my brother, Andrew who was ready to pace me. 


I got my slow ass back up the ridge and hadn't seen Sergio which was a good sign. At Manoa Cliffs, I then linked up with local runner, Al Tod as he and his son were heading back to the start/finish to finish their loop 3. They kept me upbeat as I was still not able to eat and kept me moving with the chatter. I appreciate Al and his son for helping me and we made our way down to the Nature Center.


After getting done with loop 4, Mile 80 at ~1:24AM and now behind pace, I sat down and talked to my crew. My girlfriend changed my socks one last time and my brother got me some food. As I was changing my socks, Sergio came in and caught me. He left before I did and then I followed Andrew for the last and final loop. Let's get this bad boy done.


My watch died but my Andrew started recording the mileage. I told him how the loops are ~20 miles but my watch was recording less due to the hindrance of the canopy trees. Having Andrew pace me for the first time in my racing career was exciting and I couldn't wait to show him the heinous trails I'd been on for the past day. Now in third place, I just had to keep moving forward and try not to get caught in order to stay on the podium. I led my brother as we made our way up Hogsback for my last time. I told Andrew how there are parts of the trail where you just have to pick your line and hope it doesn't take too much energy. I kept trying to put down food, but was still very nauseous. I puked a few more times, but Andrew stayed positive and we moved forward relentlessly... As I continued up the trail, I thought, "It's been a really long time since I've run with Andrew and how our relationship hasn't always been great due to our age gap and my years as a delinquent youth, but having him pace me on the trails many years later could maybe help mend that."


Start of loop 5 with Andrew. šŸ“ø: Sunny Lee

I told him about the trails we were going to run on and what to expect as we headed down to Manoa #5. We cheered runners coming towards us and moved as swiftly as I could go while still throwing up. 

We made our way through Pauoa Flats and the spider roots down to the aid station @ Mile ~87.3. More vomiting, but I got back up and out of the aid. We have to go. The climb out of Manoa felt like the trail had morphed and was an 80% grade in the dark. It was a trudge and I was starting to seize up now since my body was so depleted. I said to Andrew, "if we can get to the turn to Nu'aunu #5 before the fourth place guy checks into Manoa, we'd be in a good place. Andrew saw on the live tracker that Cory Logsdon, the fourth place runner, had checked in an hour after me at the start of loop 5 and hadn't made it down to Manoa #5 yet. It looked like I was in the clear but a lot can still happen in the final ~13 miles. And a lot did indeed happen... 


Puking at Manoa aid station on loop 5. šŸ“ø: Andrew Lee

Heading to Nu'uanu for the last time was seriously so rough. I couldn't run since my legs were so seized up. I felt really bad to have Andrew waiting on me and that we couldn't run like I had planned. I had to sit down because of dizziness/tiredness. My legs trembling and begging me to stop. I silence those negative thoughts. I puked a few more times as I was butt sliding down the jarring man-cut mud stairs after the ridge. I just wanted to get to the aid safely and not drop off the podium. But that was not to be the case... Cory magically appeared looking fresh as a daisy and was running down the trail. Sadly, I had no response. It took awhile until I finally made it to the aid station, but I was mentally so far gone. Cory came back up the trail looking strong. I was deep in the pain cave and emotionally gutted. In the aid, I got a banana and orange to finally stay down and thankfully Andrew gave me a leg massage for my spazzy legs.

Headed into Nu'uanu #5 across the stream. šŸ“ø: Andrew Lee


I said my goodbyes and thank yous to the volunteers for the final time. Let's finish what we started. ~7.28 miles left, I got this. With the podium gone at this point, I just had to finish. I got back up the ridge as the sunrise was coming up over the cityscape, which gave me some renewed energy. I moved as best as my legs could on the flats and finally back to the Manoa Cliffs' gate. I knew from the gate it's approximately 4 miles to the finish. I complained a bit but tried to muster all the good energy and fake smiles even though my feet were completely trenchy and shredded with tiny rocks stuck underneath my arches while descending down the trail.

 

Coming back up from Nu'uanu. šŸ“ø: Andrew Lee

After the second Manoa Cliffs gate, we dropped back to the Moleka Trail. Only a couple more miles... Andrew kept breaking down the mileage left like laps on a track. I started "smelling the barn" as they say. I shuffled down Moleka Trail back to Makiki Valley Trail knowing that there are a few last stream crossings before you see the turn down for Pipes. We make it over the last water crossings safely and then there's one more sucker punch baby climb/switchback before the signage for the Nature Center. 


Shuffling down the trail back to Pauoa Flats at sunrise Sunday.
šŸ“ø: Andrew Lee

More leg seizing shuffle on the ridge. šŸ“ø: Andrew Lee


Boom, we hit the turn off, and head down the last mile... Tears filled my eyes as I hit my big toe on a root, which burst the stinging pus out of it. I hobble down the trail holding together because I'm about to finish this hellacious course with a major personal record. I am also thinking to myself, "enjoy the moment with immense gratitude for being able to cover these tough and rooty 100 miles on foot." I was overflowing with emotions after putting myself out there to race hard and shoot my shot at winning even though I blew up. 


Andrew and I hit the last of the two bridge crossings and I ran down to the Nature Center. I weave past the guardrails into the final 100 meters, sprinting to RING THE BELL & KISS THE SIGN! 


Kissing the finish line HURT sign. šŸ“ø: Sunny Lee

With Maria and my parents. šŸ“ø: HURT100

With my brother, Andrew. Satisfied. šŸ“ø: Sunny Lee

The 2022 HURT 100 completed. 4th Place Overall in 27 hours and 1 minute. A 4 hour and 22 minute PR from my 2019 finish. Only 46/125 (36%) of the runners completed the race. šŸ¤Æ


As David and Megan Roche say in their podcast #85, "we are always a whisper from our highest highs and a whisper from your lowest lows" ... "Take shots"... "Scared money doesn't make money"... and "Shooters shoot." I took my shot. I said I wanted to win the HURT 100 pre-race. I went for it, blew up and it didn't happen (this time). I will learn a lot from this and I'll be back at another starting line in the future and next time, I'm still going to shoot my shot again.

 

Thanks for taking the time to read and hope you enjoyed it. Leave a comment below if you'd like to know more.

 

Lastly, again thank you to my girlfriend for believing in me and changing my dirty socks at aid stations. Immense thanks to my family (Mom & Dad, brother and sister-in-law) who crewed me. I am eternally grateful to share my last loop with my brother who paced me to the finish. Thank you to all the family and friends across the country and world that weren't at the race but were tracking me online and sending me messages pre/post-race. šŸ™šŸ¼

 

Thank you to my sponsors for all the support and love that allow me to do what I love: Topo Athletic, PurePower CBD, ReNew Earth Running, Spring Energy, Squirrel's Nut Butter.

 

Thank you as well to my amazing PT, Dr. Caitlin Alexander at BUILD Labs PT for helping get strong and stay healthy for these crazy events!

 

Lastly, THANK YOU to all the HURT O'hana, RD (PJ & John Solomon) , the amazing volunteers at all three aid stations, the HURT patrol, race photographers, trail angels and other racers! You guys ARE THE BEST and so grateful to you all during my 100 mile journey.

 

FINAL STATS:

Miles Run: 101 Miles

Vert Gain: ~25K

Spring Eaten/Drank: 75 Varied flavors (Cannaberry, Awesome Sauce, Speednut, Wolfpack and Hydration)

Pickle Juice/Trace Minerals: 12 bottles

Shoes: Topo Athletic MTN RACER 2

Buff: Southwest Endurance Buff

Compression Sleeves: Zenzah

Socks: Injinji (3 pairs)

Lube: Squirrel's Nut Butter

Shirt: Topo x Janji race top

Bottles: Hydrapak SkyFlask 500m, Speedcup, SkyFlask IT 500 ml & Soft Flask 150ml

 

https://www.strava.com/activities/6536264788/overview Loops 1-4

https://www.strava.com/activities/6536268763/overview Loop 5 with Andrew

 

 

 

 

 

 





 




Comments

  1. Wow, I love reading post race reflections �� You are a total superstar and should be so proud of your accomplishment! The grind is vivid and I can’t believe you were able to keep pushing through the gastric distress for so long! I want to know what you learnt and what you will try and tweak for your next epic adventure? Be very proud ����

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kendall, thanks so much for reading. I learned that I probably should've taken more real food early on in the race. I can't primarily just use gels an entire 100 miler... I can get away with it for shorter events, but I need more protein and a variety of food in general. Also, I probably could have started the first 2 loops a bit slower and run with some folks more early on. I took a gamble by running hot from the gun and should know better that the real race of 100 miles starts at mile 80. So more patience early on is key. Other than those two things, I think, I could've put it all together, but who knows. So many things can happen. I'm just happy with the overall improvement and finish. Again, thanks for reading

      Delete
  2. Great race report. Proud of you and can't wait to see what you do next!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Gorge 100K

IMTUF 100 Race Report

UTMB 2023 Race Recap