2024 Mt. Fuji 100 Race Recap


One week ago, I set off on another 100 mile date with Mt. Fuji 100 mile, aka Ultra Trail Mt. Fuji. It was my second trip to Japan after finishing the race as well in 2023. The previous year was a three year wait as I was supposed to run the race in April 2020, but we all know what happened there.

A short recap of 2023's race is that it was a major learning experience of Japanese trail running culture and for the race itself,  I puked so much and dug deep for an 18th place finish for first American in 23:33.

Here's a very well done video of the 2023 race here.

Back to the present, I arrived in Japan on April 20th after a full day of travel and navigated a near flawless airport to hotel trip using the extensive and incredible train system that Japan has. The only slight debacle I had was I accidentally put the wrong hotel address I was staying at with my former coworker and friend, Dylan and was so confused when he wasn't there or checked in. Realizing I was at the wrong location and about 3km from the actual hotel was a bit frustrating especially with the luggages I was carrying but I walked the to the other location and Dylan was there waiting for me. 

After checking in, Dylan and I met up with my pack sponsor Paago Worksproduction manager, Atsuko-san for dinner and a little nightlife tour before we headed back to get some rest. The next morning, we planned to do a "mara-nic", which is Japanese combination of a marathon + picnic. We didn't do a marathon but some easy jogging to shake out the legs after traveling.  Atsuko-san had this ~25km run planned of the city full of fun sights and stopping along the way for whatever we wanted to eat. It was a nice easy paced run as we saw the huge Gundam statue, ran across the bridge by the Tokyo Pier, saw the SkyTree, went to a fish market for fresh sushi and little snacks as well as a bathhouse before a wonderful dinner and trying to find gifts for our friends before the night concluded.

A few more days just chilling and touring Tokyo, it was finally time to transition from the Tokyo to Fujiyoshida City which is about 2 hours drive away. I was staying with the Topo Japan Team and Paago Works was so gracious in driving me to the Mt. Fuji Expo where I'd be handed off to my other friend, Yurikusa-kun. When we arrived the rain had started and continued all day while I checked out the other vendors, grabbed my bib, chatted with other Japanese runners that recognized me from last year and from this year's HURT 100 film. I got to catch up with Peter Mortimer and his family and then huddled in the Topo Japan tent for warmth before we were wrapped up for the day and could check into the Airbnb with the team. We then went out to a Chinese restaurant and it was so fun connecting with the team and using translator app to converse. Thursday was chill and some of the Topo Japan team woke up early to do a short 4km shake out which I joined and we went to Lake Kawaguchi and a shrine before heading back to prepare for the midnight start of the race.

Start line with Team Paago

Course Profile. 166km with 7040m climbing


Mt. Fuji 100

Midnight starts are unusual. There is no good way to prepare for it. Waiting all day doing your "normal" routine is hard. I guess I ate a bit earlier and then took a late evening nap as we drove over to the start line at Mt. Fuji Children's World. We took some photos and then slowly we were herded into the starting corral like sheep. I then briefly chatted with Courtney Dauwaulter, Nicole Bitter and Peter Mortimer before we got the countdown and BANG!

Start to Aid 1 (Fujinomiya- 25.3km) 

A fast cross country style start off the line to the first corner and onto pavement. We'd be traversing a mix of fast double track roads, gravel with the occasional grassy single track for 25km with 357m of descent. I was trying to find my flow and get the legs warmed up in nice pack of 20 as we worked together in the night. The miles flew by and we got to aid 1 in a decently fast time. I refilled bottles and took some fruit before the next long section and first big climb of the night.

Night running through Tenshi Mountains

Fujinomiya to Aid 2 (Fumoto- 52.5km)

Knowing there was a huge climb and ridges I'd be running before a long descent, from 2023, I was prepared with extra calories. The 27km section has multiple big climbs. First was up Tenshigatake, a 655m or 2148 foot climb in ~3km. It's steep and technical and I love steep and technical. Then slowly, the sun was rising and with the moonlight, we could see the silhouette of Mt. Fuji appearing. It was a beautiful morning. As I worked with a few Japanese runners and Courtney, we crested the mountain and then ran a nice ridge to Choujagatake about 131m (500feet) climbing, which was a short downhill then a sharp climb. I was taking it easy to not roll my ankles and then we slowly moved to Kumamori with a 300m (~1000 feet) climb. Kuma means Bear and Mori means Forest, so we were in a Bear Forest and I remember seeing shadows of Bears in 2023. Be cautious, we had a very slippery descent down Kumamori back down to the road and out of the forest. Before getting to Aid 2, I had 9km descent of pavement and I was low on water so I saw a spot where water was flowing out of the mountain and filtered. Arriving at the first crew spot, Yuri-kun was waiting with new bottles, Vespa, DeltaG Ketones and next batch of nutrition from the Feed. In and out very fast under 30 seconds, I made back some time on the leaders.

Yuri-kun crewing spectacularly

Fumoto to Aid 3 (Shojiku- 70.7km)

This next section was 18.2 km and had another groovy climb sandwiched by a few miles with soft mossy single track and road. Courtney and I ran out of the aid together but on the flat sections, she moved super fast, while I was trying to keep a even pace. Eventually we got back to the trails and onto the next climb. I was climbing well and had caught French Runner, Alexandre Boucheix as he was struggling a bit and we worked together uphill on Hashita Pass. We then caught my friend from the Philippines, John "Stingray" Onifa. He was in bad shape as I found him laying on the trail. He said his back was hurting and couldn't run. I checked on him and told him I'd tell the medical staff when I see them and hope he could make it down the mountain safely. Then came a vicious descent down the steep and technical trail down to Shojiku where I would see Yuri again. Along the way the heat was starting to pick up. My legs at this point were feeling very rough. Highly unusual since I hadn't made it halfway through the race. Before getting to the aid, there was a vending machine and I thankfully had 500 yen to buy some Pocari Sweat to get some more electrolytes. I then made my way to the aid and Yuri swapped my bottles, and I grabbed the next batch of calories and Vespa. Quick transitions save time, but also I need to make sure I was also eating and being efficient.

Incredible view of Mt. Fuji

Shojiku to Aid 4 (Fujihokuroku Park Gym- 97.4km)

Well this is section where the metaphorical eggs I was throwing at the wall started to crack. My quads were blown. My headspace got very low but I still kept moving forward as best as I could. I was ultra shuffling but I could barely run any downhills on the road or trails. It was not a good sign. I slowed down a lot and my other Japanese friend, Tomonori Onitsuka came running past me like I was a slug. He would gap me so fast with his TNF super shoes on the road section. It was wild how fast he put 400m on me. Then my Japanese teammate, Hayato Nishkata caught me as well. He said to come with him and run together. I stuck on Hayato like glue. His pace was smooth and soft. We made ground up the mountain which was ~1000m of climbing before a 1000m downhill at 40% grade. My quads HATED me and my brain was in adapt and survival mode. How was I going to make it down to the aid let alone make it to the finish knowing the back half is more technical and burly? Hayato kept encouraging me and I was using every mantra in my toolbox. I kept saying, "be a robot", just smile and be one with the pain. We eventually caught back up to Onituska-san and passed him as he was not feeling great. Eventually, Hayato and I made it down the mountain to the road. I looked at my watch and knew we'd have the aid soon, but I misremembered the distance and thought it was much closer than it was. I thought it was at ~92-94km but in fact it was at 98km so I had 10km with very little water and calories.This in combination with blown quads did not make me happy and honestly I was having a mini mental meltdown. I told Hayato to go on as I couldn't keep his pace. He was much stronger. Eventually, I made it to the gym and Yuri and Atsuko-san were there waiting. I had to sit down to recollect myself since I ran out of water and calories. I ate a bit and stocked up. I wouldn't see Yuri or Atsuko until Aid 6. I shuffled my way out of the aid. It wasn't pretty, but I knew in my head I was going to finish the race no matter what. It didn't matter if I had to death march and take me the full 45 hours to finish. 

Running with Hayato

Fujihokuroku to Aid 5 (Oshino- 113km ) and Aid 6 (Yamanakako Kiara- 122.5km)

Alright here we go! Back half and trying to think simply. Taking it one mile at a time. One aid station at a time. I was starting to get swallowed up by other runners who were running stronger, but I kept moving as best as I could. I don't remember much of this section besides just thinking about Maria, her family, my family and friends while staring at Mt. Fuji trying to gain strength. Again, just smiling and taking it all in. Staying as positive as I could be. My legs were lead and jello at the same time, I found solace. I often have to remind myself in races that I am blessed and lucky I GET to do this. I was grateful to my body for getting me here and thankful to Maria, family, friends and sponsors that helped me get here. 

It was awful slow but I kept moving forward. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Eventually I made it to aid 5 and then refilled bottles and then went on my way to aid 6. I won't bore you with the details of me grinding away up and down the mountain but when I got to Yamanakako Kiara, I had my doubts creeping in between the ears. Can I finish? What are the damages am I doing to to my body? 

Aid Station nutrition from the Feed.

I laid down as soon as I got into the aid. Took off my pack and Yuri and Atsuko were there to help me. Yuri was massaging my legs which was super nice but in reality did not help me feel better. The damage of either the fast downhill road sections mixed with not having calories for 10km earlier in the race was my undoing. Then my new buddy, Marco from Hong Kong was doing the English livestream commentary and came over to film me and ask, "how was I feeling"? I told him straight up, "I felt like crap and that my legs were completely gone. Not being able to run downhills the way I wanted to. It was super slow but I'll make it to the finish even if I have to Death March." After maybe 20-30 minute reset I got back up and walked out of the aid. I was getting this done. I had just over a marathon left of the race with 44.5km and 1860m (~6100 feet) of vert left.

Yuri trying to make my legs better with a massage.

Marco on the livestream asking me, "How I was feeling?"

Yamankako Kiara to Aid 7 (Nijyumagari- 136km), Aid 8 (Fujiyoshida- 147.8km) and the Finish- 167km

I wouldn't see the crew until the end now. It was just me against my thoughts and my body. My game plan for the rest of the race would be run/hike the hills as much as I could and then pray on the downhills that my legs would catch me as I was shuffled down the mountain. Again, I went back to the mantras and the new goal besides finishing was Sub-24 Hours. I had to be nearly perfect to do this. Thank goodness, I didn't have stomach issues and had steady energy and a positive attitude knowing it was going to be a death march and I was fine with that.. Honestly, that's been such a gamechanger since I've started using Vespa and have become a bit more fat-adapted this year. I don't know which I would rather have? Blown quads or puking and rallying like 2023? Both are super awful but I think I'd choose puke and rally so I could "run" at this stage of the race.

In the moment, the thoughts were 'the last 44km to finish are terrible but beautiful and rugged just like you are. Enjoy them with a smile'. 😈 Nijyumagari section is a grind up three mini mountains that are all connected by a scenic and narrow ridge before brutal descent down to the aid. I see a Japanese Black Bear as I'm descending at it scurries off back into the woods. I refilled my bottles as fast as I could and grabbed some snacks before exiting the aid and doing my second to last big climb of the race to Fujiyoshida.

Straight out of the aid, we head back up into the forest and straight up the mountain. This is what broke me mentally last year, but knowing what was ahead, I was calm and collected. The trail gradually goes up for a few kilometers and then all of a sudden you find yourself at a wall of rocks and a rope that is "trail" and ~40% grade according to the Strava section. You are supposed to scramble or pull yourself up using the rope and while it's extremely fun on fresh legs, you also start to question your sleep deprived mental state and say some curse words/laugh in your head about how this crazy section is part of the course. Looking at my watch and seeing how much climbing left, it was so close and then once you crest, you hit another cruel quad screaming descent down to the aid station at Fujiyoshida.

"Trail"

At the aid station, there's warm food and I take a bowl of udon. It hit the spot and I was off for the final 19km. One last ridiculous climb that tries to break you but at this point, I knew I was going to finish. I had to run and hike everything. I left the aid with about 3.5 hours to spare to make it Sub-24. The Shimoyama Climb never seems to end and I had to put my headlamp back on. The canopy trees made for tunnel vision and in my sleep deprived state, I was weaving side to side up the mountain. I sat for a couple minutes which I know I shouldn't have done but I was basically hiking with my eyes closed. I then saw some headlamps from below and it woke me back up since I thought it was Peter Mortimer and he was finishing strong again and sweeping up the carnage like he did to me back in 2022 HURT. That put the fire back in my step and I hiked hard but may have overdid it as I then got a bloody nose. It didn't stop me though as I finally crested the hill and the volunteers told me that its 10km to the finish. The 5km descent was riddled with roots, rocks, and steep trails that had ropes to loosely catch and give your hand rope burn as you head down to town. Shortly after entering town, the volunteers direct you to the final "mini" uphill 5k to the finish. I looked at my watch, it had 23:25 and it was going to be close. Run everything or else I wouldn't make it. Still thinking Peter was behind and going to catch me, I was moving with purpose and trying my best to run 10 minute miles. I could then hear loud cheering and see bright stadium lights through the trees on this double track gravel road. I then saw signs counting down the remaining kilometers at 3km left. Alright, time to empty the tank as I pick up my shuffle to "sprinting" if you call what I was doing at that point "sprinting." I enter the stadium and Yuri, the entire Topo Japan supporters, Atsuko and the entire Paago Team cheer me in for the last 100m as I cross the finish line in 23:56 and then slowly lower myself to the ground to sit in pain while being interviewed by Yuko-san of NHK News and then by Marco for the US livestream hosted by Mountain Outpost.

*Whoop Whoop* 22nd 100 mile finish complete. 👲👲

Sweet Relief. 

Finisher's Portrait

With the Support and Crew! Thank you!

Thank you so much to everyone that made it this and read the race report. Thank you to my amazing girlfriend, Maria, her family, my family and friends for cheering and following along all night and day. Thank you to Yuri-kun and Atsuko-san for crewing and supporting me. Immense thanks to the incredible Mt. Fuji Committee for putting on a spectacular event with the best volunteers, medics, and photographers. 

Thank you to my incredible sponsors, Topo Athletic, Paago Works, Vespa Endurance, Arctery'x Colorado, The Feed, Spring Energy, and Injinji for providing the best gear and supporting me. Thank you to my incredible body work practitioners, Dr. Larry Frieder (Boulder Sport & Spine) for chiropractic, Dr. Caitlin Alexander (HU Performance) for PT and Strength, and Dr. Sarah Zimmer (PR Labs) for PT as well.

Lastly, congratulations to everybody who ran in the FUJI 100 mile and KAI 70km race.


Gear used:

Shoes: Topo Athletic Ultraventure 3 Blue

Socks: Injinji Midnight Trail Orange

Pack: Paago Works RUSH 7R 

Fuel: 8x Vespa Wasp Extract, 5x Spring Energy Açai Gel, 5x Precision 90g Gel

Hydration: ~11L of water with electrolytes

Clothes: Topo Singlet and Arctery'x Norman 5" shorts and liner

Layer(s): Arctery'x Squamish Hoody for wind and Norvan GTX jacket and pants for rain

Watch: Coros Vertix 2

Smiles: 104 miles worth

Pain: Quite a bit in my quads

Would I recommend?: 10/10. It one of the Best Ultras in the World.

Check out my friend, Simon's Youtube video on the race this year here.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gorge 100K

IMTUF 100 Race Report